Friday, January 25, 2008

I need to eat more chocolate

I've had a pretty rough day today. For 2 days I've been having a ridiculous amount of heart palpitations. For some quick background I have had issues with my heart rate, rhythm... for a few years- well all of my life I just didn't know it. It hasn't been a big deal just something I take a pill to control and have regular checkups for. I've had horrible tests that stop my heart from beating (an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone) in addition to other tests. So today when my heart was going crazy I began to get pretty concerned and decided to call my cardiac electrophysiologist (ie. someone with crazy amounts of training and knowledge). He told me that I needed to go to the emergency department. Bummer... I hate being a patient in the ED.

I grudgingly went in and quickly made it clear that I am not an ideal patient. I resisted being placed in a regular room (I wanted to be in the fast track), wearing a gown and all that entailed, having blood drawn.... After 3 hours of sitting with cords all over my body and being stabbed by the best phlebotomist ever they found a potential source of my irregular heartbeat. Apparently my magnesium level is low. Other electrolytes were a little low likely due to too much exercise with water as my replacement fluid. The doctor (whom I know very well and see often at the gym) was questioning if I take performance enhancing drugs- seriously, for spinning class??? If I was I would want my money back.

So for now I am taking some magnesium pills to see if that resolves things. If not, it's back for more tests with my cardiologist and a change in heart medicine that I don't want to make. In the meantime I have to ease up with my workouts. That's a big bummer. The good news is that magnesium is found in chocolate, so tonight I began my new diet of eating more chocolate. It's a hard life but someone has to do it.

No comments: