Monday, July 6, 2009

What I'm Up To

Here are a few of the things that have been occupying my time...

1) Who knew that a day made such a difference in my responsibility level. I have some weird precedent of crazy 1st days. My first hour as an intern was spent intubating someone emergently with an unstable cervical spine and my first morning as a 2nd year resident was spent in the OR doing two emergency laparotomies (belly surgeries). The second patient was coding (ie. chest compressions, massive hemorrhaging while we were trying to control the bleeding). He only required about 27 units of blood. My favorite green shoes were ruined (I know I shouldn't have been wearing them in trauma surgery but who knew that as a second year resident I would be exposed to so much bleeding. Plus I put booties on for traumas except when you have to sprint into the OR with no warning because your patient is coding.) Anyways, it's all in a day's work I guess. Except that it was a very long first day because I was on call and I had to wear super bloody shoes all night. One set of observant and horrified parents asked me before I took their daughter to the OR that night "Is that blood all over your shoes?". Oh what I would have done for a pair of crocs.

2) Celebrating! Us second year residents have been partying in a big way. We went out the night we were done being interns and again on the 4th. I learned Texas Hold 'Em. For a while I was doing really well. It was fun and then I lost it all (all $5). Alas I went and joined the girls for some serious rock band.

3)Wedding preparation. No not mine silly. Somehow I got roped/privileged into performing my violin at the wedding of two of my close friends in a few weeks. I'm not sure if perform is the proper terminology. Let's just say I hadn't touched my fiddle in 5 years and when I tried to tune it my bridge flew off. And I'm performing 15 minutes of prelude, while they walk down the aisle, while they take communion and while they have their recessional. No pressure. I might ruin their wedding or in the least make a total fool of myself. I would tell you where and when so you could come and heckle but some creepy internet stalker might show up and that would be bad.

4) Long walks. I love taking walks and I have had a lot on my mind besides the above-mentioned topics. It has been incredible to just walk and enjoy the silence and think and listen. I think I hear more clearly from God while out in nature just walking and being silent than at any other time. It's not a magic formula but give it a try some time. I can't get enough time outside just listening. And the cool thing is that God is speaking and He is up to some pretty incredible things that I am thrilled to be a part of. More to come on this I promise!

ps. my camera is broken, but soon enough I shall have a new one and flood you with pictures!

1 comment:

Johnson said...

thanks for sharing! Sounds like you are keeping busy and maybe should get an extra pair of shoes to keep at work.
Have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Jenny