Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bye Bye Internship

I don't have much time since I've been out celebrating with my fellow ex-interns, but our first year is over. I'm no longer an intern!!! I was nearly skipping into the hospital this morning out of enthusaism to be moving on to the next phase of my training. I am on call July 1st for trauma and my responsibility is going through the roof. People are telling me I'm ready although I am fairly nervous. I am also very excited as I have been wanting more responsibility for the past 6 months or so.

I'll try and sit down and really reflect on intern year sometime soon, but let's just say I am thrilled with how the year went. I could count on one (or two) hands the number of times I have seriously angered an attending and no patient has ever been harmed by a decision I have made or a technical error in the operating room. I have gotten incredibly positive feedback from staff and upper-level residents and really couldn't be much happier.

I never once went over the 80-hour work week rules and feel like I am beginning to understand how to balance my professional and personal lives.

Onwards and upwards! Tomorrow at this time I might be a puddle in the emergency department up to my eyeballs in traumas and consults. I'll keep you posted on how my new role shapes up.

Thank you for all of the encouragement over the past year! I couldn't have survived without the support of family and friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Rock! I am so proud of you. :)

amberWIRE said...

Angie! Time is flying and you're doing so awesome! Ryan and I are proud to know you and I'm excited for all thats in store!