Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Professionalism

When I decided to become a surgeon I knew I would have to work with some doctors that were more difficult to work with. I have been fairly fortunate to this point to be sheltered from some of the uglier sides of these individuals. I guess I've graduated to the uncensored side of surgery.

In the past week I have witnessed the 3 most horrific displays of a lack of professionalism among doctors that I've ever seen. All 3 were in the operating room and 2 of the 3 happened during the same 30 minute surgery by both the anesthesiologist and surgeon...with a 3rd year medical student observing it all (and nearly getting hit by a flying instrument). I'm still not quite sure what to do in these situations. My MO so far has been to just ignore it and keep working (and laugh about it endlessly afterwards with other residents). All three were basically huge temper tantrums by doctors. They all ended up looking like adult children with serious issues. Any suggestions on what to do when my staff doctor is screaming, throwing instruments, kicking people out of the OR...? The good news is that I have never been the cause or focus of the anger. Either way it is an incredibly awkward situation.

3 comments:

Michelle Wegner said...

What do you think would happen if a preschool teacher behaved that way, or a bank teller, or a police officer? That kind of behavior is way out of bounds in the rest of the outside world. I wonder why it is acceptable in the operating room? :)

Anonymous said...

In my experience the root problem is insecurity and the reason they are insecure is they are piss poor surgeons. Any time instruments become airborne, an incident report should be written and turned in to the administration. Enough reports and the competent administrator will remove the surgeon from hospital staff.

This is a prime example of how doctors need to police themselves and take disciplinary action to hold each other accountable.

I wrote a couple incidents reports when in nursing. All hell broke loose and I was called on the carpet. How dare I a lowly nurse call a doctors behavior into question!!! However, eventually the doctors were disciplined.

Ask what the protocol is at the next M&M conference.

Stay safe!
MOM

Brad King said...

Ok, this is going to be a long comment. You remind me of my favorite golf story:
The "club championship" at our country club (back when we belonged to one) was a big deal. Several rounds of match play to see which two players would compete for the annual title. It is a big deal and the final match typically draws a gallery. This year it pitted two very steady players with very different personalities.
After two holes one player had quietly gone "two up". The other player (with a reputation for a hot temper) began to curse after about every shot.
After going to "four down" Mr. Hothead was really getting steamed - he even threw his club and was really pouting. Clearly, his anger was directed at himself.
After a couple of holes of this behavior, the leader walked over to Mr. Hothead, extended his hand and says "congratulations! I concede the match."
Incredulous, Mr. Hothead begs him "no, you are four up! I don't want to win this way?" The gentleman replies, in front of the gallery, "I know, but I just don't want to play with you anymore."
So, our "club champion" had to wear his "crown" knowing that he won by being a complete boob. The good news is that he spent the next year going out of his way to be a perfect gentleman - so, in many ways getting "called out" made him a better person.
Perhaps you can find a similar catalytic mechanism to help these guys become better docs?