Monday, May 19, 2008

Camel Jockey

Today I rode a camel. It was really fun until the camel stood up which was terrifying. I couldn't stop imaging me as the next Christopher Reeves. When the camel was done the process of getting off was even more frightening. Regardless, it was a great experience and earned me the nickname "Camel Jockey" from the other people in our group.
Later on mom and I were having our picture taken in front of a few camels which mom was very hesitant about. While we were standing there I grabbed her rear in a way that I thought was similar to a camel's bite and she jumped really high. She thought the camel was right behind her and starting to grab at her. It was hilarious!

For a quick update: we are in Jerusalem now (and exhausted). We have had an incredible time and have learned so much! Today we rode through the West Bank (I didn't know that it is really the only way into Jerusalem). We had a fun "authentic" Bedouin style lunch. It was really fun. Now we are trying to get rested up for a big few days in the City of David.
In case you are wondering, even though there are almost 300 of us we have spent a fair amount of time with Kay Arthur in smaller settings. I rode in a car and shopped for jewelry with her tonight. When we met someone exclaimed to her that I was a doctor and so she has remembered that and references that regularly with me. She is trying to network me with some of Precept International for when I am a surgeon. It has been really neat getting to know her and I look forward to spending more time talking with her in the coming days.
Well we're off to bed. Shalom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is this with you and animals? Now camels are added to the list?! Keep building memories with your mom.

Anonymous said...

You lucky duck. I'm so glad you've gotten to spend some time with Kay!