Sunday, February 1, 2009

Snowboard 1 Angie 0

Yesterday I went skiing/snowboarding with Brad, a good friend from my house church. I apologize for not having any pictures. The majority of skiing was nighttime so they wouldn't have turned out well had I had a camera with me. Your imagination will have to suffice.

The skiing was great. As Brad said, "it is like riding a bike" and I was quickly able to maneuver around thanks to lots of previous experience. My one fall was hysterical. I saw a ramp, gained speed and was surprised by how airborne I became. I landed fairly gracefully on both feet but was laughing so hard at my stunt that I totally lost it. When Brad came around the corner I was lying on the grounding laughing and rolling around. It was pretty funny.

After much prodding on my part we traded the skis for snowboards. I had brought wristguards for just this occasion knowing that just about everyone I know who has tried snowboarding has broken a wrist and my livelihood now depends on the functionality of my upper extremities. We carried our boards to the bunny hill- hill might actually be too generous, it was more of a flat clearing to learn to turn on. There was a treadmill to take you to the "top". Brad had warned me that I would feel fairly physically handicapped with one leg stuck to the board. He wasn't kidding. I felt like I had some congenital hip dysplasia that prevented any forward progress. When we got to the "top" I locked my other foot in and lasted about 10 feet before being forcefully thrown on my face. The wristguards worked though! Getting up was a serious struggle and one that I was determined to win as other newbies were barreling forward in my direction. I couldn't stop laughing as I was so shocked at the violent nature of this sport. This continued for an hour of so with unending laughter and rolling around in the snow. I told Brad that "our" goal would be to ride the ski lift and go down a real hill before the night was over. We indeed did accomplish the goal and miraculously didn't have to cart either of us down on a sled. There was a close call when Brad flipped end-over-end after losing control. We must have been a sight to behold!
Today I am quite sore. My knees are bruised but my spirit isn't. I can't wait to go back for round two!

No comments: