Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Axiom


I picked this book up thanks to the recommendation of Judy Gregory. (an amazing woman who is changing the shape of youth ministry in our nation whom I was privileged to serve alongside for many years).

As a doctor I naturally have a leadership position in the hospital setting, but I don't want to be leading out of a title but rather by my character and example. I'm only a few chapters in but here are a few quotes that really stood out to me:

  • …words really do matter. And leaders must pay the price to choose the right ones, because when they do, the payoff is huge.

  • The truth is leaders rise and fall by the language they use. Sometimes whole visions live or die on the basis of the words the leader chooses for articulating their vision.

  • When handled properly people are actually quite flattered to be asked to do significant things for God.

The first two quotes resonated with me as I have recently been made aware of the power of my words- both in destructive and constructive ways. I want to be a person who speaks intentionally and has the insight and control to know when to be silent.

The last quote struck me because I sense that significant things are happening in Indy right now with my church and we are asking a lot of people (myself included) to step up and do "significant things for God" (not that I'm implying we haven't already been doing significant things). Instead of the increased responsibility coming across as a burden I view it as an unspeakable privilege because of the way the vision has been laid out.

I'll keep you posted on the book, but so far I would highly recommend it!

No comments: