Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Beginner's Luck???

My first day as a real doctor went so much better than I could have imagined. It was wild to introduce myself as "Dr. Qualey" for the first time. Every time I wrote an order in a chart it felt weird not asking a doctor to cosign the order. Nurses actually sought me out to ask questions and update me on our patients. Families asked to speak with me to talk about their loved one's situation.

Within 60 minutes of being in the ICU I had to go emergently intubate a patient. In addition to never having met the patient I had to quickly talk with the family, get their consent for the procedure (which I've never done), and intubate a patient (which I haven't done in 2 years) who just happened to have a broken neck. It was crazy! As we were trying to get the patient sedated I felt my legs shaking a little as everyone was watching me. The amazing/miraculous thing is that I was able to intubate her on the first try with lots of people in the room staring at me. I have never intubated someone on the first try, let alone someone who is crashing and who has a broken neck. My attending was very pleased!

Then throughout the day I had to put in a few central lines (catheters into large veins). My attending was clearly dreading what he thought would be painfully long procedures, but all 3 times I hit the vein on the first try. It was ridiculous. The first time he told me I seemed like a natural. The second time he told me that it was going to be a great month together because I am obviously a natural with "the touch". I laughed and told him that I hoped he was right, but it was probably just beginner's luck. He said, "No seriously, you have the touch. It's obvious."

Are you kidding me?!? On my first day of residency I expected to be pummeled verbally by surgeons, not have one tell me that I am a natural. I am under no delusion that I will always have this kind of success nor will I get warm fuzzies from my attendings often, but I sure needed it today. I'm still very inexperienced, but at least I know I have hope! Thanks so much for all of your prayers and encouragement! God is so good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you. You are God's woman for this job. He's been guiding you all along. I will keep praying for more days like this!

How'd the person break their neck? yikes.