Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Quote of the Day

Someday I want to be this confident in my surgical skills:

Lance Armstrong asked Dr. Shapiro ( a neurosurgeon at IU) why he should trust him to do the surgery to remove the brain metastases from his testicular cancer.

Dr. Shapiro said, "Because I'm much better at neurosurgery than you are at biking."

I love it. It probably sounds arrogant, but if you met Dr. Shapiro and realized how down to earth he is it is just fantastic proof of his skill. He is humble yet strong.

It reminds me of an experience at Camp Adventure many years ago when Mark Beeson encouraged us to not shrink back and play at the camper's level in sports or whatever we were doing. We weren't to crush them or slam a ball in their face, but playing and living with excellence is inspiring and that is the example they needed to see. The world needs to see that Christ-followers are capable of performing at the highest levels in every arena.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I second that!!! Great quote, how did you get it? From talking with the doctor? Pretty cool!!!