Sunday, July 27, 2008

One Week

I have one week left in the ICU and my feelings are mixed about it. I love the fellow (someone who has finished residency and is doing further training) I am working with- she is a great role model, she thrives on teaching, and she is fun to joke around with. My attending is an intern's dream. He is nice, patient, and trusting just enough to let me safely learn and gain experience. The patients are incredibly sick and so I am forced to learn a lot...quickly.

Daily I am thrust into situations where I am the leader- running a code, holding family meetings, discussing end-of-life issues...that aren't as prevalent on other services. On the other hand, being on call is ridiculous. I'm sure it will be just as busy on most other rotations, but hopefully more giving tylenol and anti-nausea medicines and less of the actively dying issues. It's a lot for an intern to handle. It's a good thing that there are tons of people there to help. It is amazing to see how many patients actually get better. I see miracles happen every day.

Things aren't going to be easier next month since I'm doing transplant surgery for the third largest transplant program in the country. It should be full of unique challenges and learning opportunities.

I couldn't be happier about how residency has started. I am at the absolute best program for me, surrounded by friends as colleagues, working with attending physicians who are teaching and encouraging me, with a phenomenal relationship network keeping me sane.

I am so thankful that God knows what we need and what is best for us long before we are able to see the big picture. How great is our God!

No comments: