Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Courage

I'm studying Joshua right now and used the Quotationary that Tara gave me to find some neat quotes on courage:
Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened. Billy Graham

Few persons have courage to appear as good as they really are. J.C. Hare

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

I would define true courage to be a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to incur it. William Tecumseh Sherman

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear- not absence of fear. Mark Twain


What does courage mean in my daily life right now?

Being an advocate for others when it isn't the popular thing to do. Taking the high road when I want to fight back. Submitting to the authority over me. Stepping up to new challenges instead of leaving them for others more experienced and confident. Working with excellence- not holding back from my potential. Calling out the good in others and not allowing them to shrink back.

What does courage mean for you?

2 comments:

Dave Nordin said...

I've always appreciated another quote which C.S. Lewis uses on a couple of occasions but which actually comes from Samuel Johnson:

"Where courage is not, no other virtue can exist except by accident"

Anonymous said...

Great quotes, friend. Your life is insanely busy yet you are constantly growing and not staying stagnant. Keep it up. Keep being courageous for your patients.