Tuesday, August 19, 2008

TriIndy




Well I survived the triathlon on Sunday. There were over 900 participants. I did the olympic distance which is a 1500m swim, 40km bike and 10km run. I actually came in 9th for my age group which I was thrilled about. I finished faster than my goal time and as a result I can hardly walk.
  • The swim in the canal was fun in that miserable "when is this going to end" sense. It took me 35 minutes to swim the 1500 meters ( plus another several hundred meters from all of my zigzagging from one side of the canal to the other). Yes, the water was nasty, but no more than lake water. The picture might give the appearance that I had the canal to myself and it seemed like I did for part of the race but I dealt with plenty of people swimming on top of me.
  • The bike was my strongest leg by far. I averaged 18.6 mph and felt like I could have gone faster.
  • The run was painful since I didn't train for it at all. I averaged 9 minutes/mile with the frequent stops for gatorade so I was pleased with that.
Overall it took me 2 hours and 55 minutes. I am really glad I did the triathlon. It was much more enjoyable than the first one I did! My goal is to do at least one per year to keep me motivated during my workouts. Maybe I'll aim to win a trophy next year. Goals really do help me push myself harder and farther than I otherwise would.

No comments: