Friday, November 23, 2007

Mother Theresa

"People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered. Love them anyway. If you do good, people may accuse you of selfish motives. Do good anyway. If you are successful, you may win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway. People who really want help may attack you if you help them. Help them anyway. Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway."

My first trip to India was to Calcutta (now called Kolkata) just a couple of years after Mother Theresa passed away. I was able to work at a few of the homes she set up throughout Calcutta. I also visited Mother House- the convent and charity headquarters where she lived and where she was buried. I'm not going to lie, I got ridiculously sick in her personal bathroom thanks to all the dirty water I had unknowingly consumed. It was quite a moment.

Despite all the publicity the new book about her has received, I will always look up to this incredible woman who gave her life away.

1 comment:

Michelle Wegner said...

I hope you don't mind me sharing this with the blogging world Angie. It's definitely worth passing on! :0)