Thursday, November 29, 2007

Vacation Goals

2 of my next 3 months are vacation months and I am SO EXCITED! I have been saving up my time off to travel for interviews and have some fun. While I will spend a large amount of my time traveling or enjoying the company of family and friends, here are some goals I have for the next few months so I don't waste them:
  1. Swim 100 yards in under 1:16. My best time so far is 1:21, I think I should be able to get under 1:16 and hopefully shave even more time off.
  2. Read 10 books- a few for fun and five or more serious- here are some of the more serious books that I plan on reading
    1. Pathologies of Power by Paul Farmer- about international health care and poverty worldwide and what the causes are
    2. The End of Poverty- Jeffrey Sachs, an economist
    3. Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger- Ronald Sider (a book I have been wanting to read for years)
    4. The Idiots Guide to Bicycle Maintenance- I road bike too much to now know how to change tire tubes, deconstruct my bike for airline travel... I plan on changing that in the next few months
    5. Some book on the conflict in the Middle East- both because I am interested and naive towards all the problems and cultures there but also because I am going to Israel in May and want to understand all the issues and tensions
    6. Banker to the Poor- Mohammed Yunus- an interesting book on microenterprises
    7. A book on mortgages- I hope to be a home owner in less than 6 months and need some serious self-education
  3. Train for a century bike ride (100+ miles) and hopefully find one to actually ride- California perhaps
  4. Go to a home Colts game- I will likely have to scalp tickets, but I really want to attend another game since I haven't been in 4 years
  5. Watch lots of movies
  6. Do my strengthening exercises for my back every day- they really have helped and since I've decided to become a surgeon I really need to work on this
  7. Spend quantity and quality time with family and friends
Let the fun continue!

No comments: