Monday, April 7, 2008

My Grandma

My maternal Grandmother passed away early this morning. Because of some health problems it wasn't entirely a surprise, but it was a shock. You can't be fully prepared to lose someone you love.

I love my Grandma.

She loved God with her whole mind. She was constantly reading books and learning about new subjects. She gave books to encourage based on whatever season of life I was in. She supported and nurtured my desire to pursue medicine and missions from a young age. When I was first wondering if I could be both a physician and overseas missionary she gave me a book called, "Ten Fingers for God" about Dr. Paul Brand (one of my heroes thanks to her) who was a hand surgeon specializing in the care of people with leprosy. Before going to Calcutta, India she also gave me a couple of Mother Theresa books that enriched my experience immensely.

One thing that I loved about her was that she was a woman who wasn't afraid to let her opinion be known. Her inhibition led to some funny moments that I will never forget. When she was in town for my high school graduation and I was slightly addicted to Hawaiian rolls she made it clear that if I kept eating like that I would become very overweight. Over Christmas last year when I was struggling to decide what specialty to pursue she made it very clear that I was crazy if I didn't become a surgeon.

I don't think she appreciated my sense of humor too much. She was the most avid George W. Bush fan I know. She worked with his campaign and talked about him like they were close friends. When I suggested maybe I would vote for a democrat and spoke of my love for the Clinton family (as a complete joke), she just couldn't stand it. I think she might have kicked me out of the house had I not relented. If she could she would probably have a few words for me about that last picture of her in the classy shades in Mexico.

I'm heading down to San Antonio to celebrate her life knowing that she is with Jesus. She isn't in any pain and her body has been made new. She lived a full life and has left behind many who love her deeply and look forward to seeing her again.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." And He who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Revelation 21: 3-5a

2 comments:

amberWIRE said...

ANGIE! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, but so happy to hear that she loved Jesus and is hanging out by the throne right now! So cool! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you sis!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you won't get to see your Grandma this side of Heaven again. My Grandma died a few years back, and I still think of her almost every day. I'll be praying for you and your family!