Monday, June 23, 2008

Graduation Part Two


As promised I have much more to say about my recent graduation. It was truly the most incredible day of my life. I have wanted to be a doctor since I was in early elementary school. I used to tell my teachers and parents that I was going to be a heart surgeon... when I was seven. 18 years later and I am a week away from being a surgical resident. I'm not sure if I'll become a cardiothoracic surgeon (it's amazing how the medical community has a fancy way of saying just about everything), but it is one of the options I have thrown around quite a bit.

So on May 10th when they introduced me as "Doctor Angela Hope Qualey" for the first time it wasn't simply a catchy title, it was the realization of my dream. I was a little emotional when I was on the stage, but not as much as I anticipated. Despite being on a beta blocker my heart was still racing. Kelley's dad, Dr. Schreiner, the chief of Riley Children's Hospital gave me a hug on the stage and said a few words to me that I won't soon forget. I grabbed my diploma and ran off the stage before they could change their mind. Not really, but I did check to make sure they really put my diploma in the cylinder.

After everyone received their diplomas we recited the Oath of Hippocrates which was very meaningful for me. I took it seriously. I didn't mindlessly regurgitate the words. I am honored to be the keeper of secrets for my patients. I know things about patients that they've never told anyone. I am honored to treat all patients equally.

The most emotional part of the ceremony was the very end when they had us stand and they introduced us as the class of 2008 and the crowd went wild cheering for us. I ended up sitting right across the aisle from my family and friends and so I was able to look them in the eye as they cheered me and my classmates on and it was incredible. I felt God's pleasure and love in a palpable way through them. God is good!

After a lengthy photo shoot we went for a nice lunch at The Capital Grille in the Conrad Hotel downtown. I took the opportunity to introduce everyone, say a few words to each person, and pray for our meal. It meant a lot to me to take that time and attempt to honor each person there who has had a significant role in my life and in helping me successfully graduate from medical school. My parents, Rigel, uncle Brad, Dr. Schreiner and Kelley all gave wonderful toasts. My cousin Brad sang a beautiful song. It was a really special time with family and friends.

After that we had a casual evening of Scat (a card game my family plays often-they even have a website for it), pizza and presents.

I am so thankful for my friends and family who traveled from all over the country to be together and celebrate. I couldn't have done this by myself. The journey has just begun and I am surrounded by the best support system imaginable!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ang,
Congrats! I don't know if you remember me or not Jenny Cobb from GCC but we now live in Fowler, IN and go to Riley every 3-4 months for my son Timmy who was very ill when he was 6 weeks old. He has had heart surgery and sees the one of the most AMAZING Pulmanary docs at Riley...Dr. Macke!!!!! Any who your blog is very exciting to read and I'm sure you are huge blessing to your patients! Blessings, Jenny Johnson my emails is jjljohnson2003@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

You rock. What more can I say?