Friday, June 27, 2008

What I've learned from orientation

Now that orientation is well underway here are a few things I have realized:
  • I am in way over my head
  • My responsibilities are beyond what I am capable of
  • Since I am the intern on the ICU team I am responsible for going to every code in the whole hospital...a hospital that is a maze and currently beyond my understanding (probably because whoever came up with the "floorplan" was drunk and high at the time). I will be the white blur running around at 3 am trying to save someone's life.
  • I will spend the next few days understanding the "floorplan" so that I can promptly find the room of anyone in need of my services
  • I actually think I could do a surgical airway if needed
  • I am incredibly excited to be at IU surrounded by residents that I already know and for the most part enjoy
  • The intern class rocks! There are 4 girls (all from IU and super fun and reasonable people) and 5 boys (2 from IU and three from other schools). We are about to share a whole lot of insane memories together.
  • My baseline blood pressure is elevated due to my nervousness of all that is to come
  • God is good. I have never been happier about being at IU. It has been a blast getting to know residents and faculty better.
  • I will always have backup. While it is terrifying, the patient care will be just as sound as ever as there are tons of doctors, nurses... who understand that July is a volatile time and they are ready and willing to help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Focus on the greatness of God! Remember you have been called and He will enable you for the call. He has proven Himself faithful!
-Trigonometry -aced it!
-Organic chemistry - meant to wash out but you soared!
-4 insane years of medical school -you met the challenge
-stitching -comes naturally
-colonoscopy -you lead your class

Need I say more? You can do this Angie! Watch how God enables you over the coming weeks and years. Be confident in who you are...that's not cocky that's trusting a BIG God!
Love,
MOM