Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ruth Bell Graham

This woman has fascinated me for many years but I became keenly interested in her when I learned that she felt called to be a missionary in Tibet and decided instead to marry Billy Graham. Who can truly question that she made a decision that has resulted in countless changed lives? She is often credited for much of Billy Graham's impact. I am in the middle of her biography which I would highly recommend. The book goes into quite a bit of detail about her struggles to decide if she should marry Billy Graham or not. Some of my favorite lines:

Prior to really dating anyone she wrote:

“If I marry:
He must be so tall when he is on his knees, as one has said, he reaches all the way to Heaven.
His shoulders must be broad enough to bear the burden of a family.
His lips must be strong enough to smile, firm enough to say no, and tender enough to kiss.
Love must be so deep that it takes its stand in Christ and so wide that it takes the whole lost world in.
He must be active enough to save souls.
He must be big enough to be gentle and great enough to be thoughtful.
His arms must be strong enough to carry a little child.”

After her first date with Billy Graham, she wrote the following prayer:

“God, if You let me serve You with that man, I’d consider it the greatest privilege in my life.”