Thursday, March 20, 2008

Processing...

Well I've had almost 12 hours to process a very surprising outcome from the match. My matching at IU was a near mathematical impossibility, or at least that is what everyone had convinced me of. I had geared up to move and was therefore shocked to learn that I will be staying right here.

As I've had time to get over the initial shock I am excited to be staying at IU. Would it have been fun and exciting to move to a coastal town? Of course! Instead, I'm going to stay in a city that I love and train with tons of friends at a phenomenal program. At least 6 of the 9 that matched into general surgery at IU are classmates of mine, and one is my closest friend in medical school (who is as passionate as I am about international medicine). In addition I have lots of friends staying at IU for other residencies and tons of other friends in Indy. I will work with many surgeons that I already know. I won't have to learn the layout of 3-6 new hospitals nor will I have to maneuver around a new city. In my fourth year I can go to Kenya to do 6 weeks of surgery at a hospital that IU has established a reciprocal relationship with. In addition to the opportunity to make an immediate impact on the patients there I will get to learn about their partnership in Kenya (which was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize) in hopes of setting up something similar elsewhere someday. I will also get to stay a little more closely connected to relationships in South Bend which is one of the things I am most excited about. I'm not sure what all God has in store for those relationships but I know it is better than my wildest dreams.

God is good all the time. He has plans far beyond my comprehension and I trust His sovereign guidance. God wasn't surprised like I was today and not only was He aware of the results- but He orchestrated them. He has proven Himself time and time again and I'm not going to begin to doubt Him now. I am going to be training in a premiere surgery program surrounded by a support system that is out of this world. I'm going to go to sleep tonight knowing that God is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you won't be moving far away...yet. There is plenty of time for exploring new places in the future. I know I am glad you'll be close!
Take a deep breath. Have a great Easter!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! Your ability to submit and surrender it all to God is a testimony to your maturity and faith. Dis-appointment will become His-appointment for something bigger and greater!
Love,

MOM

Judy Gregory said...

Angie,
That is soooooooooo very cool and I am sooooooooo very proud of you. If you need ever need a travel buddy to carry your stethescope in Kenya, let me know ... I'm in. In the meantime, I'm off to Mexico in a couple of weeks. Go Hoosiers!