Monday, March 10, 2008

Sweet Spot

Have you had one of those moments or experiences that reminded you of what you were made to do? Where is your sweet spot? Mine is medicine and I knew it from an early age- an age where it is not rational to really know apart from some serious divine intervention.

I'm on a rotation that is the "holy grail" of sorts for medical school. It is the most demanding rotation and I have been dreading it for months. I'm over a week in and loving it! You know you've picked the right field when you can work a 30 hour shift every 4-6 days on top of normal work days and still love it. It's not that I prefer internal medicine (the really sweet spot for me is surgery) but I love working with patients and other health care providers.

There are tons of things that I'm not good at- things I have tried as ministry opportunities that worked but were never a beaming success. I was the worst greeter imaginable at church. I was an adequate worker in the children's ministry- I think I connected with some kids, but there are people who are really good at that and if there are enough of them to cover the job I just assume leave them to it. In high school I helped produce our services, but I didn't do anything spectacular or that others willing to invest the time couldn't have done.

Michelle Wegner, who is very wise, once told me that medicine is my ministry. I was talking about missions and how so many physicians go overseas and get spread thin trying to do all sorts of "ministries" to help prove that what they were doing mattered for eternity. It felt so freeing to be reminded that medicine is my ministry. What better opportunity to tell someone about God's love than after fixing their child's cleft lip? It is my sweet spot, where I am able to love and be energized by people that in any other setting I would likely avoid.

I'm not saying I won't pitch in when a need arises elsewhere but medicine is my main ministry.

“Oh that we might discern the will of God, surrender to His calling, resign the masses of activities, and do a few things well. What a legacy that would be for our children.” -Beth Moore

No comments: