Monday, October 22, 2007

Ironman 70.3

I have caught the Ironman bug and think I have found my venue. If everything goes according to my brilliant plan my college roommate Heather and I will fly to St. Croix in the Caribbean for the half ironman on May 4th,2008.

The race would be a 1.24 mile swim in the Caribbean Sea, a 56 mile bike ride with a hill called "The Beast", and then a half marathon 13.1 mile run. The course looks beautiful so if nothing else we could enjoy the views while our bodies scream at us.

It is one of the Ironman world championship qualifying events for Kona, Hawaii. I have no delusions of qualifying, but it should be incredible to be on the same course as some of the world's best triathletes!

We would have a couple of days before the race to acclimate to the area, do the race, and then enjoy the Caribbean for a few days before flying back to officially graduate from med school. Then I would have a couple of days to pack for Israel. Maybe it's a bit much since I will be trying to secure housing and move to some undetermined location at the same time. You only live once right?

The only triathlon I have done was an Olympic distance which was roughly half the distance this would be. It was pretty miserable at the time, but I am in much better shape physically and mentally.

We're still in the "let's think about it" phase, but I hope it works out. This is probably my last chance to train to this level for at least a few years if ever. Not only would it be an incredible adventure with the accomplishment of a major physical feat, but it would be a fun trip with Heather!

No comments: